04 September 2011

Wind & Rain: Day Two

Date: September 2, 2011
Time: 34 minutes
Weather: 61 F, wild weather: breezy, rainy & gloomy
Number of strangers I spoke to about their dogs: 1
Number of strangers I offered to photograph: 0


As I was parking and putting on my hikers, the most lovely young golden retriever approached from a car parked nearby.  He had that happy, eager look that is so common in dogs in Scotland.  Happy dogs can be found around the world (maybe not so much in countries where they are eaten), but in my opinion Scottish dogs must rank among the happiest.  The golden's owner was not far behind, so of course I began a short conversation (which almost almost always begins the same way):  How old was he?  (six months) What was his name?  (Barley)  He looks so happy to out and about. (yes, we have him so I will get more exercise, he loves his walk.)  The dogs here are rarely on leashes, although most owners carry one and are quick to attach it if someone is appears uncomfortable (I've yet to meet that person in Scotland) or another dog is threatening (very rare).  The dogs either stay close to their people or romp on ahead, circling back to check in frequently.


I think I need to start borrowing neighbors dogs for some of my climbs. 


It's rather otherworldly up here watching the clouds and rain move in against the sun in the distance.  


The sky was low and mildly threatening as I started my way up.  I didn't see many people out, but a few seemed to be at the peak.  The rain started when I was about three quarters of the way up, but only just enough for me to put up my hood.  The rocky bits and stones as you approach the top are so worn that they become very slippery in the rain and I had visions of being carried down  pieces.  The peak was deserted, the first time I've been on Arthur's Seat completely alone, the people I had seen at the top earlier had begun their descents when the rain started.  


Rather boring alone up there in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment