04 September 2011

Sunshine, mountain bikes and a longer path: Day Three

September 3, 2011 (Saturday)
Weather: warm (68 F), breezy mix of clouds and sun
Perspiration:  heaviest yet
Time: 62 minutes
Amount of time giving skeptical advice to deranged-looking mountain bike dude: 4 minutes
Deep thoughts thought: 1 1/2


Feeling adventurous and loving the warm weather, I tackled a new route to the top, following the path from St. Margaret's Loch past the ruins of St. Anthony's Chapel, winding along the path that climbs above the sharply carved valley.  The trail has a gentle slope, compared with the peak, but is steeper than it looks and I was huffing and puffing sooner than I anticipated.


After about 1/4 mile, the drop offs the valley below become quite steep and I suppressed the urge to tumble myself down them calling "As you wish ...... ooh,  ow, oof, ooch, ouch ....."









As I neared the top and stopped for a break, I was distracted by a chap pushing his mountain bike up the hill, followed by a friend with a tripod and serious camera.  The biker spent several minutes examining a steep slope nearby and I lingered, hoping to see him in action.  He moved on, and I spoke with him as he surveyed another possibility.  


Me:  "Have you picked a spot?"  
Crazy Biker: "Not yet."
Me: "Have you ever done this?"
CB:  "Not yet."
Me:  "Are you going the whole way down the hill?"
CB:  "Hope so."
Me:  "Watch out for the small shrubs with the giant thorns hidden among the tall grasses."
CB:  "Aye.  Wait, what?"


I saw him again near the peak as I was on the way back down.  He had walked the bike nearly to the top;  I don't know if he found a reasonable way down on the bike or not.  I hope he had band aids with him.  I was quite disappointed not to witness his attempt, but I was running out of time and needed to be back to the barn where Janie was taking a riding lesson.



 This sweet border collie drank from the rain puddles at the peak and
then just plopped down on top of a small one, waiting to roam back down to his supper.



















No comments:

Post a Comment